Representing Small, Rural, & Specialized Transportation Providers Statewide
California Rural Transit Assistance Program (RTAP)
CALACT is under contract to Caltrans to implement RTAP in California. Our goal is to make the professional lives of rural transportation providers easier by being the in-state outlet for technical and training materials produced by the National RTAP, and supplementing their program with California-specific technical assistance, management workshops, peer networking and scholarship assistance.
The California RTAP objectives:
- To promote the safe and effective delivery of public transportation in non-urbanized and small urban areas of California and to make more efficient use of public and private resources.
- To foster the development of state and local capacity for addressing the training and technical assistance needs of the rural/small urban transportation community.
- To improve the quality of information and technical assistance available through the development of training and technical assistance resources.
- To facilitate peer-to-peer self-help through the development of local networks of transit professionals.
- To support the coordination of public, private, specialized and human service transportation services.
- To assist in building a national and state of California database on the non-urbanized and small urban segment of the public transportation industry.
For more information about the California Rural Transit Assistance Program, write, call, fax or email your request to:California RTAP
4632 Duckhorn Drive
Sacramento, CA 95834
FAX (916) 920-8021
The California RTAP can offer you:
- Scholarship assistance , to reimburse the costs of attendance at conferences, workshops, training courses, seminars and symposiums;
- Resource Catalog -- loans of nationally and locally produced training modules and videotapes, sample plans and policies developed by transit operators and consultants to meet state and federal regulatory requirements, and other technical resources and briefs;
- Management workshops, addressing general management issues, personnel policies. leadership, motivation and team building;
- Special workshops addressing driver training, vehicle maintenance, emerging federal requirements, safety and other topics;
- Driver Safety Roadeos , where drivers from across California can test their safety and driving skills and compete against other transit organizations.
- Access to other California and national transportation professionals for management, training and technical assistance, on subjects such as accessibility, coordination, vehicle specifications and procurement, service contracting, substance abuse regulations, marketing, passenger assistance techniques, alternative fuels and mobility training; and
- RTAP Bulletins, to keep you up-to-date-on RTAP activities.